yesterday i was home sick in bed all day which means i spent too much time watching tv and scrolling through instagram and reminiscing on my euro trip this summer. that picture is from precious little copenhagen. i miss wandering around and getting lost there!
other stuff i did online while on bed rest:
- i watched a documentary that alexa chung made with vogue about the fashion industry. you have to watch it. it was so great. alexa goes behind the scenes to prove that there’s more to fashion and the industry than what meets the eye. yes on the surface it’s just clothes, but on a deeper level its emotional and artistic and a total reflection of the times we’re living in. she talks to so many amazing people from a company that handles trend predictions to balmain’s, olivier rousteing and even cooler peeps in between.
- chance the rapper debuted a new song on stephen colbert’s show (it’s so good)
- this new york times video on how to spend 36 hours in san francisco. despite how every feature on sf always comes back to the issues with the tech industry lately… i still love it here. :)
i recently attended one of creative mornings’ seminars on typography. it was super cool to hear from two designers at dropbox and how they became typography and letterpress designers. they gave us a bunch of pens and pencils and paper and gave us time to work on designing our fonts. it is so much harder than it looks! one of the things i most appreciated was when they shared their favorite typographers and who they’re following. one was gemma o’brien, who’s a designer from australia and makes all these amazing pieces:
i love them all and am now following her on insta to see what she’s up to!
happy friday! a couple of months ago there was this one week on instagram where beyonce posted some seriously amazing outfits that show off her insane talent of color use (not that she isn’t doing this every week though). if you know me … you know that i am somewhat afraid of color. my closet is basically different shades of gray. i don’t think i’ll ever be able to totally let go of my love of black, but i definitely want to be more bold when it comes to color in my daily life. so here’s a pattern i made in honor of queen bey’s awesomeness and my first step towards overcoming my fear.
what i was doing online this week:
- the balmain/h&m show was this week and holy cow. the pieces were so gorgeous. i spent quite a bit of time going through slideshows online
- drake released the hotline bling video and the world went freaking nuts over his turtleneck and severely awk dance moves
- i had this new chet faker song on repeat all week
- i love seeing how other people live and style their homes. so this new coffee table book showcasing different artists and their living spaces is right up my alley. side note: the artist who designed the light installation for the bay bridge is also featured in the book!
a newwwww week.
i’m starting mine off by looking back at all the photos in my phone i’ve neglected to upload. and now i’m realizing how fast this year is flying by! this weekend ended being one of the best. nothing out of the ordinary, but it consisted of me finally getting a hair cut, framing and hanging concert posters (like a real grown up) and spending time with friends i haven’t seen in a while. we spent hours on my roof laughing, talking, drinking, and admiring the fog, followed by an adventure to the mission where we rocked out to a blondie cover band and enjoyed free cupcakes. we wrapped up the day with some freaking amaze mexican food. i woke up feeling content for the first time on a sunday (as opposed to the usual anxiety that comes along with the end of a weekend). hopefully the good vibes continue throughout the week!
some of what i’ve been up to:
- catching up with sam here
- eating pizza with liz here
- drinking coffee with kim here
- checking out the farmers market at the ferry building on saturdays
- walking around the richmond/lands end/golden gate park
- swinging at billy goat hill park
- making labels for radishes
the amount of unnecessary sh*t that i carry around with me on a daily basis is unreal. gym clothes and toiletries, two laptops, my lunch, binders, notebooks, sweatshirts, the list goes on. it’s time to make a serious change. i’ve never felt like i could rock a backpack, but after some careful research, i think it’s time i hop on the train. now i just have to choose!
one / two / three / four / five
between work and school and life, i’ve been feeling so scattered brained. in the past 6 months i’ve managed to lose almost all my personal items including debit cards, my license, cellphone, clothing… you name it i’ve misplaced it. anyways, my friend recently showed me this collage artist, eugenia loli, and i’ve been following her work ever since. her crazy, wacky, and surreal pieces surprisingly make me feel calm about the chaos that is my life lately. i follow her on instagram so i’m always up to speed on her latest stuff. she actually used to work in tech and was also a tech journalist until she sort of fell into making these amazing collages. you can see all of her work here. hope the start of your week is going swimmingly and all your personal belongings are safe!
i recently discovered the uber amazing san francisco based graphic designer and lettering artist, jessica hische. and i think she specifically designed this poster for me. you should look at her other stuff. i’m definitely saving up to purchase this perfect piece of art for my walls.
weekend’s here and i can’t wait to sleep in saturday morning! i’ve been trying this thing where i work out everyday before work. and i’ve been feeling like a zombie (i’ve never been a morning a person). but it’s been pretty awesome to have all the free time after work to get sh*t done. anyways, here’s some links to the stuff i’ve been reading and looking at this week. enjoy!
- this exclusive interview drake did with the fader (not even embarrassed to admit i might have shed a tear)
- this article about how technology is taking a toll on our ability to empathize (i was so moved by it, i ended up deleting snapchat from my phone. hopefully i can ease myself out of my other tech addictions now, too!)
- this interview with hillary clinton for lena dunham’s brand new newsletter, lenny letter (love her or hate her, you gotta check it out)
- this band my friend showed me, because she thought i’d like them (and now i am obsessed!)
- these haunting and amazing photos by noell osvzald